“This recipe was handed down by my ‘Baba’ (Ukrainian for ‘grandmother’). She originally just made a chocolate and plain pinwheel cookie, but I adapted it easily to create a very colorful variety that my kids and husband adore at Christmas time!”
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time||Ready In|
|72||25m||5m||8h 30 m|
|Cook Time||Ready In|
|5m||8h 30 m|
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a bowl. Resift again into another bowl.
- Beat the butter with the brown and white sugars in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until smooth. Gradually stir in the flour mixture until evenly blended. Gather the dough into a ball, and divide into two equal parts. Place one half in a second bowl. Add red food coloring to the dough in one bowl, and green food coloring to the dough in the other bowl. Use a fork or wooden spoon to blend the food coloring into the dough until evenly blended. Add additional drops of food coloring to make the desired shade.
- Roll out the red dough to 1/4 inch (5mm) thickness. Roll out the green dough to 1/4 inch (5mm) thickness, and place on top of the red dough. Beginning on one edge, roll the doughs to make a log so the two colors spiral inside each other. Wrap the log in waxed paper, then in a cotton towel, and refrigerate at least 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- Unwrap the dough log, and place on a clean, lightly floured surface. Slice the log into rounds 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick, and place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven until set, 5 to 6 minutes. Watch carefully to prevent edges from browning. Remove from oven, and cool on racks.
To make the pinwheel cookies in a vanilla and chocolate combination, divide the dough into two parts. Melt 2 (1ounce) squares unsweetened baking chocolate in a pan over low heat. Cool slightly, and mix the chocolate into one half of the dough until well blended. Roll out the doughs as in Step 3 to make a log with the plain and chocolate doughs. Follow Steps 4, 5 and 6 to complete the cookies.